[Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking advice -- new Android phone with good physical attributes?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Jul 20 15:58:11 UTC 2012

Hello Noisebridge,

It looks like my G1 is finally on it's last legs, so I'm wondering if
anyone here could give me some pointers on selecting a new(er) Android
phone. I'm on the T-Mobile network & have a contract-renewal upgrade
credit towards the purchase of a new phone. My criteria:

* Notification light -- Must have a real physical notification LED.

* Ability to tether -- preferably via USB cable (is that even
possible?), which I gather means running CyanogenMod...

* CyanogenMod -- well supported via CM and/or able to run a stock &
up-to-date version of the Android OS.

* Decent physical keyboard -- the G1 had the best physical keyboard
of all, IMO. The G2 looks to have one very similar to the G1...minus
the number row :(  But the G2 is older (only runs 2.3 ?), and doesn't
appear to be available new any more. I took a look at the MyTouch,
but the layout & key-action feels quite awkward relative to the G1.
So I may have to give up on a physical keyboard. In that case I'm
inclined to go with something in the Samsung Galaxy lineup.

Having the ruggedness of the G1 but with better battery life would
also be nice, but the points listed above are tops on my list. Any
suggestions are most welcome.

John

--
John Magolske