[Noisebridge-discuss] Just a monitor thought

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Jul 10 15:44:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:49:23PM -0700, Jake wrote:
> we could do better than that; we could pipe it to your screen as a video
> stream.  But currently the system is entirely undigitized, it is an analog
> wire that goes from the door to the monitor by the upstairs door and
> nowhere else.

Just for context, the reason why the system is undigitized is to allay
objections to surveillance of Noisebridge. An analog, unrelayed camera
was seen to be less likely to end up being used to capture and store
images, which is pretty easy to do and hard to guard against once you
start bouncing the data around.

Also, as Rubin says, some feel that it's not enough to judge
someone on what they look like, you should go up and greet them, and
take responsibility for who you let in.

Personally, I find the restriction on preserving pseudonymity when
monitoring the space an interesting challenge. It's a good discipline to
aim for, though I think I could do better in coming up with clever
privacy-protective solutions. For instance, AMT
http://acemonstertoys.org/webcam fuzzes their public webcam image for
privacy.

d.