[Noisebridge-discuss] Cleaning the calendar of events

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:07:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Eric W. Rasmussen <ewr at majortek.com> wrote:
> @Leif - I think it's assumed. It does say "learn" and mentions printed
> material.
>
> On 07/13/2012 09:22 AM, Leif Ryge wrote:
>> On 07/12/2012 07:47 PM, Eric W. Rasmussen wrote:
>>> People are showing up and no one is here:(
>> That statement doesn't make any sense!
>>
>> (The description of "German Corner" on the wiki doesn't say anything
>> about it being a class with a teacher.)

I wrote to Eric "tell them they are the new teachers!'

I think it should be easier to use noisebridge to encourage radical
self-determination. It's a space well suited for this as well as all
the workshops discussion groups, and classes.  No one *has* to lead a
group and I'd love to see some folks step in to enhance circuit
hacking monday -- perhaps forming small working groups dealing with
specific electronics projects or a roving arduino club.*

The emphasis I put on the radical self reliance values and autonomy at
noisebridge makes me cringe a bit when people call Church and Turing
'classrooms'. Classrooms evoke a lot ambivalent feelings in me, but
beside all that it is fact that there are PLENTY of classrooms in the
Mission and San Francisco.  I tend to think that if people want
classrooms they should go to the very affordable city college only a
few blocks away. What city college doesn't do is offer an open
hackerspace.  No classes on cryptography, no social spaces that
include physics and electronics laboratories, and no emphasis on
radical self reliance like telling people who come looking for a class
that they are welcome to teach it! City college and other schools have
traded liberties for liabilities and gone a safe route to teach the
masses.  They don't have a laser engraver or a accessible shop for
public use**.  There's collaboration and project based learning at
noisebridge that you just don't see (and possibly wouldn't be
possible) at schools around the bay area. On the other hand, there's
also bullshit and stupidity that you don't see at schools around the
bay area, so at least we still have a lot of room to improve things!

-ronald miloh alexander (rma)

*  actually that's already happening now with Hao's DORA project and
all the projects Jake's worked on!)
** last time I checked. btw, everyone should ask folks to clean up
after themselves in the shop! no excuses!