[Noisebridge-discuss] hack question: computer controlled kiln

Patrick Lake pat at patsanimation.com
Wed Jun 6 13:22:41 UTC 2012

Hi NB.  My GF has a ceramic studio with 2 kilns.  A firing is an involved process where she has to fill each kiln with a quantity of stuff, pay a notable energy cost, and manually adjust the heat every 2 hours for a day or 2.
The kilns are made to be computer controlled so you "set it and forget it."  The computer part costs a thousand bucks from the manufacturer.  I was wondering if anyone would consider this hackable, as a project you would do for some pay, or maybe labor trade for studio use, or both?

Please let me know if this sounds worth checking out- if so, I can get you the kiln model numbers and other details.

Best,
Patrick Lake
450 South Van Ness Ave #1
San Francisco CA 94103