[Noisebridge-discuss] hack question: computer controlled kiln

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Wed Jun 6 17:24:44 UTC 2012

This is a non-trivial hack, but absolutely hackable. You can get a
ramp-soak controller with a serial interface and a thermocouple
temperature probe for probably $150-200, less if you get it from
China, e.g.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/543180318-RS485-serial-port-CD100-L4-S-PID-temperature-controller-with-RS485-serial-port-wholesalers.html

Since the kiln's heating elements are switched by the existing
controller/thermostat, you can likely use that, otherwise you will
need a beefy solid-state relay. You can use an Arduino or a PC to
change the temperature setpoints over the serial interface at given
times.