[Noisebridge-discuss] 3d modeling help - seven segment displays

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Jun 13 22:18:29 UTC 2012

I need to make giant LED numbers.

I have LED tape, which is 8mm wide and has surfacemount LEDs every inch or
so.  It can be cut to multiples of three.  I want to make numbers like
this:

http://www.8051projects.info/images/7seg.gif

So i want to use the replicators to print (using clear PLA) pieces which
are the shape of single segments.  The segments should have indentations
in them to correspond to the LEDs on the tape (and the resistor too).
Each segment will have 12 LEDs behind it - two pieces of tape side-by-side
with 6 LEDs on each piece.   The LED tape looks like this:

http://www.elumanation.com/eLume_LED_Extreme_High_Output_LED_Tape.html

more accurately:
http://www.chylighting.com/upload/201204/1334818508.JPG

I don't have a PDF of the LED tape but I will try to find one.  Otherwise
we can just look at the actual tape, which I do have, and measure it.

I would like someone to help me design this piece from scratch and get it
to print.  Then I want to print 23 of them from clear PLA.  There's pay.

Is this something we can do today?  or at least get started?

-jake