[Noisebridge-discuss] 3d modeling help - seven segment displays

Paul Freedman paul at rockthebike.com
Thu Jun 14 02:57:08 UTC 2012

Thanks Miloh, for your interest! I also have samples of the LED strips.
Thanks Jake, good writeup. I have some availability between now and Monday
to help.

Yours,

Paul

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:

> We should be able to help out tonight at reprap Wednesday. Over a year ago
> I started making parametric 7 segment printouts that one could specify size
> and dimensions for.
>
> https://github.com/miloh/scad_stl/blob/master/7segment.scad
>
> Use with regular leds and a shift register, or now with rolf's 5x5 charlie
> plex badge.  We could print them out on repraps, ToM's or the Series One,
> no problem.  I'd like to help!
>
> -rma
>

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>> I need to make giant LED numbers.
>>
>> I have LED tape, which is 8mm wide and has surfacemount LEDs every inch or
>> so.  It can be cut to multiples of three.  I want to make numbers like
>> this:
>>
>> http://www.8051projects.info/images/7seg.gif
>>
>> So i want to use the replicators to print (using clear PLA) pieces which
>> are the shape of single segments.  The segments should have indentations
>> in them to correspond to the LEDs on the tape (and the resistor too).
>> Each segment will have 12 LEDs behind it - two pieces of tape side-by-side
>> with 6 LEDs on each piece.   The LED tape looks like this:
>>
>> http://www.elumanation.com/eLume_LED_Extreme_High_Output_LED_Tape.html
>>
>> more accurately:
>> http://www.chylighting.com/upload/201204/1334818508.JPG
>>
>> I don't have a PDF of the LED tape but I will try to find one.  Otherwise
>> we can just look at the actual tape, which I do have, and measure it.
>>
>> I would like someone to help me design this piece from scratch and get it
>> to print.  Then I want to print 23 of them from clear PLA.  There's pay.
>>
>> Is this something we can do today?  or at least get started?
>>
>> -jake

=============================

*Rock The Bike*

www.rockthebike.com
Shop phone: Toll-free 1-888-354-BIKE  Local 510-548-2453
cell: 415-810-3696

Email: paul at rockthebike.com
www.facebook.com/fossilfool

Address:
1336 Channing Way
Berkeley, CA 94702

*Yuba Bicycles* - affordable mobility.
News, updates, deals at http://www.yubaride.com
Toll-free: 877.889.YUBA
office: 415.331.1126 | fax: 415.524.4178

San Francisco *Bicycle Music Festival*
June 23, 2012. Be there!
www.bicyclemusicfestival.com

*Fossil Fool*, the Bike Rapper