[Noisebridge-discuss] Frontend Web Development, Monday 8pm: AJAX

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 02:09:53 UTC 2012

Monday's class is about AJAX: Asynchronous JavaScript And XML. Sounds
complicated, but it's simply a way of talking with the server without
leaving the page you're on, and jQuery makes it easy. To prepare for
the class, please sign up for a site on
https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net or using your own hosting. Upload the
PHP file in this archive as well:
http://jeffreyatw.com/static/frontend/class9/tweet.php.zip

Also: I WILL be at the Mozilla Webmakers Hackjam tomorrow, which
starts at 3pm! I'll be coming in possibly up to an hour late since
I'll be flying back from vacation, but I should be there. You who take
my class regularly should be there too! You can help out those who are
just starting out.
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Webmakers

And as a reminder, I've set up a new mailing list in case you're just
interested in class announcements and nothing else Noisebridge-related
- or if you want to talk about web development in general.

--- The usual details follow below: ---

Learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript - and put them to good use! This class,
taught by Jeffrey Carl Faden, is aimed at beginners who are interested
in web development, as well as seasoned professionals looking to brush
up on the latest and greatest.

Frontend web development is all about making code that runs in the
browser (versus code that runs on the server). There isn't a big focus
on web design (creating wireframes and mockups), but we do cover best
practices for turning these designs into beautiful code.

The class starts at 8pm and goes until 10pm! Plan to arrive EARLY, as
the class has been filling up very fast. We will have a recap of last
week's material, starting at 7:30pm. If you're either new, couldn't
make last week's class or you simply need a refresher, come early and
we'll go through a simple tutorial. It is completely fine to jump in
half-way - the recaps and labs should help you get up to speed.

As always, this class and the space in which it's taught are entirely
free to attend. Read all of the details here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Frontend_Web_Development

Jeffrey