[Noisebridge-discuss] 86/85

Alan Rockefeller alanrockefeller at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 09:13:57 UTC 2012

> I think these pages were a great addition
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/85
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/86

The 86 page is useful, but I disagree that the 85 page is a good thing.

The conditions to which people are added to the 85 are undefined, and
most of the recent troublemakers are not listed there.  The only
person on the 85 page who comes to the space is Cynthia, and she is
allowed since she completed mediation.

All of the entries are out of date and have not been updated in
months, and most of the entries contain inaccurate negative
information about people.   More importantly, the 85 page fosters an
antagonistic atmosphere of  being suspicious of others and narking out
people you don't like on the wiki, instead of dealing with social
problems the way they should be - in person, via email or on the
mailing list.

Some of the people on the 85 page are cool and don't belong there -
Yogurt Container Man or Rubin for example.

The 85 page makes Noisebridge look bad - that is not the image we
should be projecting on to the internet.

I have added a few people to the 85, and I usually feel awful about it
later and regret making the edits.

When I tell people that they are on the 85, they feel terrible, I feel
awful, and it isn't a good social situation at all.  They feel like
people at Noisebridge are plotting against them, and indeed, they are.
 It is highly awkward, and it's a poor alternative to discussing
issues in person or over email.

The 86 page is a bit more useful than 85, those people do belong there.