[Noisebridge-discuss] About the missing robotic arm on wheel chair robot

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:37:22 UTC 2012

Another thing to consider, depending on the weight of what you're planning to manipulate, is to attach the arm with breakable bolts or similar. So that ramming it into somebody will detach it.

I couldn't find any moderately priced estop switches last I looked. Also, the batteries are quite high current.

I was thinking that a low extraction force connector wired in line with the motor controller could make a good hack emergency stop mechanism. Have a bright red tag on it, with one connector rigidly mounted to the robot and the other on a cable that can be grabbed.

That wouldn't fix the problem of stupid people sneaking up behind you with the robot, but it would at least sort out the problem I had with it slowly trying to crush bicycles. We literally wrestled the robot away.

Thanks,

gopi at iPhone