[Noisebridge-discuss] book scanner?

Hao hao at dorabot.com
Tue Jun 12 02:50:35 UTC 2012

Hey Jonathan, I would be like to help out. I hang out at Noisebridge or
Techshop most of the time. I'm currently working on a opensource robot
project (DORAbot.com), but I'm interested in making a bookscanner, so let
me know if you would need a hand. I won't say I'm an expert, but I'm pretty
familiar with electronics.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Jonathan Mayer
<jonathan.mayer at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks, folks.
>
> The absence of counter-information on this list is telling me that
> Noisebridge does not already have a book scanner, so I will make one.
>
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM, David Rorex <drorex at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The newer model of the bookscanner uses a bicycle brake trigger & cables,
>> to actuate the physical camera trigger buttons.
>

> Yes, I've seen that.  The mechanical trigger push looked a little
> unreliable to me, compared to USB triggering, but there were many other
> parts of that design that I really liked -- that design is definitely my
> starting point.
>

>> This makes it compatible with pretty much every camera ever, not just the
>> ones that are supported by CHDK and the right kind of input port.
>

> CHDK is cool, but is it necessary?  I thought almost all Canon cameras
> could be triggered remotely and simply via USB from a laptop?
>
> - Jonathan.

DORA = DORA Opensource Robotic Assistant
dorabot.com