[Noisebridge-discuss] type of diode needed for relay/arduino circuit

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:49:48 UTC 2012

Hi again Frantisek,

it looks like the diode is in parallel with the relay winding and reverse
biased if the arduino drives the relay coil.
As the current to the relay coil is switched off, the diode allows the
energy in the relay coil to dissipate
without frying the drive circuit.

If I'm guessing correctly what the diode is supposed to do, a plain old
1N4001 <http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf> will do.

Christoph