[Noisebridge-discuss] Group order of Entropy Keys: hardware random number generators

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Wed Jun 20 05:11:34 UTC 2012

If my suspicions are correct, it wouldn't be too hard to hack up an
open-hardware version.

I'm guessing the entropykey is nothing more than a little amp for
thermal (resistor) noise into an ADC, followed by a whitening
algorithm. And some kind of device driver to pipe it into /dev/random.

Of course we could make a radioactive one with Mike Kan's transistor
alpha detector trick (pop the top off an old TO-3 can transistor), or
make an imaging-based spinthariscope, which would be cooler!