[Noisebridge-discuss] Group order of Entropy Keys: hardware random number generators

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 05:23:19 UTC 2012

cc'ing sfmicrocontrollers since this is one you don't hear about too often:

we are discussing the entropykey, avalanche biased junctions generating
noise fed into an arm cortex m3!
http://www.entropykey.co.uk/

my responses threaded below:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:

> If my suspicions are correct, it wouldn't be too hard to hack up an
> open-hardware version.
>
> I'm guessing the entropykey is nothing more than a little amp for
> thermal (resistor) noise into an ADC, followed by a whitening
> algorithm. And some kind of device driver to pipe it into /dev/random.

aside from being taught that I should be wary of anything that advertises
as 'true random', I'll contribute that they do something with jxns in
avalanche mode to get the 'noise'.  They also do something with paired
devices and correlation checking to shut it down if someone tries to reduce
entropy by temperature (or some other means?).  but if the correlation
check is between n devices on a tiny thumbdrive?!? can anyone tell me what
good is that but against temperature attacks?

oh look, confirmed: http://www.entropykey.co.uk/tech/

I think I read about this last august, thinking along the same lines as you
that it should be diy'ed and characterized in different ways!