[Noisebridge-discuss] Drill Press

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sun Jun 24 21:47:07 UTC 2012

* John Magolske <listmail at b79.net> [120620 23:48]:
> * Chris Murphy <chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com> [120619 15:23]:
> > I agree that the chuck socket may be damaged but I couldn't tell
> > easily. I didn't know how to get in there and fix it anyway.
>
> Yes, it'll need to be carefully filed or reamed (with a special
> reamer, but at that point we should probably just replace the chuck).
> FYI, I believe this is a jacobs taper (see the "Machinery's Handbook",
> should be a copy in the shop). I'm hoping to make it in Friday
> afternoon to work on this.

I came in yesterday and took a look at this. The taper on the arbor is
running true, but internal taper on the chuck is damaged, causing it
to sit improperly on the drill press spindle. It was in fact falling
off in use (said the person who was using it when I came in). Not only
is this unsafe, using the drill press in this state can lead to the
arbor being damaged more severely. So I removed the chuck and took it
home with me. I also took the chuck that was laying on the workbench
nearby...the jacobs taper on that chuck did not match the taper on
the drill press, and the chuck I removed from the drill press did not
fit the arbor I removed from the other chuck. Seems their tapers had
slightly different angles. This week I'll be measuring these tapers
with a micrometer to determine if buying a new chuck will solve the
problem.

Please do not attempt to use the drill press for any reason. Replacing
that arbor will be very difficult, so we don't want to risk damaging
it any further. We need to make sure a chuck is installed properly,
with fully mating tapers.

John

--
John Magolske