[Noisebridge-discuss] Drill Press

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Thu Jun 21 06:41:00 UTC 2012

* Chris Murphy <chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com> [120619 15:23]:
> The drill press is one of our most useful tools.

Glad it's been useful. While CNC mills are definitely great to have, I
feel a solid drill-press is almost a cornerstone of any shop.

> I agree that the chuck socket may be damaged but I couldn't tell
> easily. I didn't know how to get in there and fix it anyway. I pushed
> some steel wool through it and an acetone rag but I doubt that did
> much of anything.

Yes, it'll need to be carefully filed or reamed (with a special
reamer, but at that point we should probably just replace the chuck).
FYI, I believe this is a jacobs taper (see the "Machinery's Handbook",
should be a copy in the shop). I'm hoping to make it in Friday
afternoon to work on this.

> I was trying to get some work done and had already invested an hour
> in repair. So I wasn't as thorough as I should have been. No one with
> expertise (hint: MK) was around to help either.
>
> The reason I wanted to remove the arbor was to inspect it and restore
> it. I wanted to see if the obscured end was damaged or untrue.

I'll try to bring in a dial indicator (do we have one at NB?) to see
if the arbor stub is running true. If it is, it should just be a
matter of making sure all the score marks are removed to below the
surface of the taper, then fixing/replacing the chuck as needed. In
the meantime, if it's not running true, it might not be safe to run
the drill press as the chuck could be not-as-well-attached as it
should be. Could someone put a sign on it to this effect?

> Also, I would love it if we could get the missing versatable accessory.
> We are also missing a foot that holds your work down and a linear depth
> gauge (we have the rotary depth gauge).

The versatable looks cool, but it is kind of flimsy. I'll see if I can
dig it & the foot out of storage when I have a chance.

> It's a rare but good drill press. Parts are hard to find. A used wdp1850
> would only cost $160-200 (was $699 new).
>
> More info:
>
> http://woodgears.ca/drillpress/ryobi.html

Thanks for the link, nice writeup. Too bad they discontinued this
model...if anyone sees one of these for sale used somewhere, snap it
up & donate it to the Hackerspace of your choice (maybe Noisebridge,
for a spare :).

John

--
John Magolske