[Noisebridge-discuss] Drills and Dremels

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Mon Jun 25 05:24:11 UTC 2012

* d p fenn <weasel at meer.net> [120624 21:50]:
> Le Jun 24, 2012 à 4:03 PM, Brian Sullivan a écrit :
> > I need to put a small diameter hole (paperclip-ish) through the thick
> > shell without splintering / breaking for a necklace. Modern technology
> > makes this much easier ;)
> >

> pcb drill bits work pretty well on ceramic (even glazed) so they might
> work ok on shells too. they're usually (when in good shape :-) sharp
> enough that they cut w/o splintering.

That's right...forgot about PCB bits. They would be perfect for this
application. Though do be careful to avoid placing any side-load
forces on these bits, IIRC they are tungsten carbide & rather brittle.

Do we have a PCB drill press (small, high-speed)? Or PCB drill bits?
Not sure if I'm confusing what NB has with another time & place, but
I seem to recall seeing such things at the space (in the electronics
area, not in the shop).

John

--
John Magolske