[Noisebridge-discuss] how to end the ultimate evil - fruit flies?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Jun 25 15:50:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Frantisek Apfelbeck <algoldor at yahoo.com> wrote:
> By the way, would be there some simple solution which would include some
> motion sensor and laser beams? The manager is annoyed so much that I could
> actually get even a budget for it (not that I have time for it but it would
> be cool). I was wondering if just a motion sensor and fixed laser beam could
> do the job - no aiming just wait when the fly tries to make it for, sensor
> switches on the beam and “bum”, finished, history …. I do not know if I can
> activate laser beam so quickly, maybe? I have arduino and close to zero
> knowledge how to use it but I’m progressing on that.

I would echo what Michael said -- a vinegar trap with a cone has
worked really well for me in the past, too.
For convenience, I just use a V60 coffee dripper and a Mason jar.

As for the lasers, you'll need a powerful beam and calibrated tracking
system. It's possible, but not easy.
And there is some precedent with mosquitos:
http://www.wired.com/business/2010/02/death-star-laser-zaps-mosqitoes-dead/
http://intellectualventureslab.com/?page_id=563

Cheers,
jof