[Noisebridge-discuss] But rock, paper, scissors?!

lordclaypool lordclaypool at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 22:46:29 UTC 2012

Well, this system isn't too difficult to figure out. They used a high speed
camera to predict future state estimations of the human hand based on prior
data (fractions of a second before the hand forms a rock, paper, or
scissor). What's better is that they then fed it into a learning algorithm
and kept repeating rock, paper, scissors examples to it, thus positively
reenforcing the learning algorithm. Once you let it lose, it can figure out
what the gesture will be very early. That gives this super fast moving hand
plenty of time to form it's decision. Human hands are slow compared to this
machine :) Kudos to the team to mechanically engineered that thing.

They've done great work, but it's hardly comparable to Watson.

Here's a link to their website and publications:
http://www.k2.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/fusion/Janken/index-e.html

-Lord Clayp00L