[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser engraver needs to go back in the DJ booth

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Mar 16 04:43:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com> wrote:
> Not only does the air in the laser need evacuation, but so does the air
> around it. That is why the laser needs to be in a small, enclosed space like
> the dj booth... So it is easy to evacuate the air around the laser.
>
> We already solved this problem. The only reason it was moved was because of.
> The leak.
>
> Look, the sem doesn't need air exchange. Equipment that does has Window
> access priority. The sem is a novelty. It isn't a tool that will get much
> use.
>
> Until the laser has a permanent solution, there isn't really an argument.

Well, the argument posed above is that it should be somewhere with
minimal vibration. I don't think the DJ Booth fits that bill well
(though that's pure speculation on my part) -- it's a wood framed room
freely strutted above the staircase under it.

A better place (IMO) could be strapped against one of the support columns.

--j