[Noisebridge-discuss] /missing/...

jim jim at systemateka.com
Thu Mar 1 06:09:45 UTC 2012

    For me, the big hurt was the loss itself, not the things
lost; it was the sense that others using the space don't
want to bother taking the time and effort to consider that
what looks like shit to them might matter to someone else
(of course, some of the stuff in turing did seem pretty much
like shit to me, too...). That is terrifically discouraging.
    Thanks to Ben and Ronald and others who want to make
good, that's really important.

    What I want to work on is an approach to demystifying
computer stuff. I'd like help to build a small lab that
people can completely screw up, no holds barred (i've seen
computer labs that bar holds, set up by well-meaning people
who have a poor sense of what education really is, such
that people can't break the lab itself: those that I've
seen have failed and been laughed at by everyone who's got
skills).
    I know it can be done, and done in the Turing room
without inconveniencing other types of classes or meetings
held there. I'd like the sense that I and any one else who
cares can build up stuff to see how it flies, and that it's
protected for at least a little while, from preconceived
notions.
    I still believe that each area in the space will
benefit from having a few champions own it, not to the
exclusion of anyone else. The electronics, the tastebridge,
and the sewing areas seem pretty successful in that way--
there are some few people who are committed to keeping
order and supplies and yet permit anybody who wants to do
stuff to do as they please. It's a good model.
    God forbid we'd formalize anything, of course.