[Noisebridge-discuss] Meta-discuss was Re: stop pretending to be me

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Mon May 14 01:37:26 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 3:49 AM, John Adams <jna at retina.net> wrote:
> What I do have to say is that the actions of some of the people on this list
> saddens me, and I am just responding to what I see here on the list.

John, thanks for bringing this up. I have given some consideration as
to how the list could be made more functional, given that idiots
exist. Here are a few ideas in order of implementation complexity:

A. Collaborative whitelists and blacklists. Most of the idiocy on the
list is caused by a few people. We could share our individual
whitelists and blacklists. I'm not sure if people feel comfortable
doing this, but I am attaching the script I use to generate these
lists from my Gmail filters. Actual lists available on request, or I
can go ahead and post them here.

B. "Hot" messages as per the Linux kernel mailing list:

http://lkml.org/hot.xml

Nobody has time to read all of LKML, but many appreciate reading a few
of the more "popular" messages. I wrote a script which syndicates
messages from hot.xml into an RSS feed:

http://modernhacker.com/feeds/rss/lkhot.xml

If we had a way to evaluate the "hotness" of messages on nb-discuss,
we could do something similar.

3. Slashdot-style moderation. For a while someone was piping LKML
through Slashcode at http://testing.lkml.org/ so messages could be
upvoted and downvoted. We could potentially do this using email only
and skip the web UI (e.g. forward the message to "+1 at noisebridge.net"
or "-1 at noisebridge.net" to implement moderation).