[Noisebridge-discuss] Lack of due process when Cynthia forced to leave

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu May 3 23:35:33 UTC 2012

You know...it's funny.  I still have no idea what she did wrong.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM, rachel lyra hospodar <rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> The last time I talked to her about it, Erica was no longer feeling
> welcome because Jesse (the same jesse) told her she wasn't enough of a
> hacker and she should leave.
>
> This after she had to ask him to stop calling her at 3am.
>
> R.
> On May 3, 2012 3:02 PM, "Jake" <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>> I couldn't have said it better myself.
>>
>> Why is Erica no longer feeling welcome?
>>
>> I have to say,  I have noticed that some people (including Jesse for sure)
>> seem to be fulfilling my prediction that we could swing around into the
>> reactionary zone after we started dealing with the occupiers.
>>
>> Please re-read the below and let's not make the same mistakes again.
>> Calling the police is a LAST RESORT and shows bad judgement on the part of
>> the people who did it.
>>
>> What would Jesse or Will have done if a couple of female members told them
>> to leave?
>>
>> Carl said:
>> You know I don't post here all that much, but I really felt that I had
>> to respond to this...
>>
>> I've read through all of the comments about what transpired with
>> Cynthia, on the discuss list and the meeting notes.  Although I haven't
>> been present at Noisebridge during the past week, from what I've read so
>> far, I am really not pleased about how people involved in this situation
>> treated her.  (This would include Jesse, Will, and apparently a third
>> man.)
>>
>> First of all, calling the police really should not be done unless:
>>
>> 1. Someone is harming or threatening harm to another person, causing
>> damage to the space, stealing, or otherwise causing trouble or
>> performing an illegal activity.
>>
>> 2. A person who has been officially banned from the space refuses to
>> leave.  And by "official", I mean a due process has been followed
>> whereas a previous discussion and consensus was taken to ban a
>> particular person.
>>
>> 3. AND ONLY AFTER the Noisebridge community are unable to handle the
>> situation on our own should we get the police involved.
>>

>> I find it troubling when individuals take it upon themselves to forcibly
>> remove people from the space, who by all accounts of what I've read, did
>> NOT cause any trouble prior to being asked to leave.  I believe it was
>> wrong for Jesse and Will to have done what they did in this case, prior
>> to taking it up at a meeting where the members could discuss and make a
>> decision as to whether to ban Cynthia from the space, AND ONLY AFTER
>> this discussion and consensus would it be appropriate to ask someone to
>> not return.  (and as she brought up, informing her of this could have
>> been done through email prior to her arrival in order to avoid this
>> confrontation.)
>>
>> I am also troubled by the flippant and immature responses on this list
>> about Cynthia being "crazy".  Her past talk of legal actions against
>> Texas corporations has no bearing on what transpired.  As far as I can
> [...]

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>