[Noisebridge-discuss] Creative Suggestions and Long Rambling Thread encouraged

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sun Nov 4 22:11:53 UTC 2012

> Animals (like cats) are chipped do that, if found, they can be returned to
> their owner.
>
> However, many people still have signs posted that they can't find their
> chipped pets.
>
> Two wild-hair threads come to mind (possibly not feasible/practical):
>
> 1) a little peer-to-peer arduino based networks that connect to open
> wireless and are in the street -- scanning and sending location of all
> chipped cats it can read. So each node would be a volunteer who hosts and
> manages this outdoor node -- this idea is riddled with problems.
>
> 2) find a way to actively scan. A cantena can focus in active signals from
> miles away. The strength of those signals are, of course, much stronger
> (and active) than what we're talking about.

Actually, wardriving for RFIDs would be an excellent indication of how
vulnerable many items are to leaking information -- for instance, you could
wardrive for passports in tourist areas, and identify certain nationalities.

Kristin Paget is probably the best authority on this -- she's been tracking
RFID devices at increasingly insane distances for a long time now.
http://www.tombom.co.uk/blog/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-JXDdzCko

d.