[Noisebridge-discuss] The Hackernationale

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 02:17:37 UTC 2012

I love it! And so inspiring. (Liz's "Hackernationale") When you have the
full lyrics I'll translate it into ZLang!
Chocolate in the laser cutter sounds really decadent.
This leads in to a thought I had Friday when I was @ NB. First time I'd
been in a month or so, & I was struck by how cleaned up / decluttered the
east wing of the space is. The cubbies for guests to stash their stuff,
that whole stretch of walkway from there past library & cafe into kitchen,
to east wall (big void where mushroom shelves used to be?) was dramatically
lightened. I say *was* because that was 2 days ago, & I know a lot can
happen in 2 days....

Now the rest of the space needs the same treatment, mainly the west wing,
or "Bermuda Pentangle" if you will: hacker alley + member shelves +
hackitorium + sewing spot + laser cutter/printing area. I had an idea
(maybe it's not a new idea, it was new to me though) that we should take a
map of the space*, lay a simple grid over it to divide it into cubes of
equal size, & ask everyone available to adopt one cube, then schedule a day
(next weekend - Saturday or Sunday?) to clean & organize the whole space
end to end. It won't take long if it's a team effort, & we can play music &
be pleasantly surprised by all the cool forgotten useful stuff we find &
how it's like an archaeological dig. (About 3 feet below topsoil layer of
one of the sewing scrap bins I hit a heavy deposit of my old clothes from
like 8 months ago, when I had tons of clothes — which was awesome, because
now I don't have any clothes!)

I will commit a full day next weekend to cleaning, organizing & hacking @
NB to prep the space for 5MoF on the 15th - which I'm also looking forward
to. Glad that's coming back.

Here's a little poemfrag I wrote last night in German — which is
interesting, because I don't know German. (It's in my blood though, it just
comes to me.) LMK if it makes sense, ja, jemand, bitte?**

*Lär**mBrücke, Meine **Lär**mBrücke:** Himmel, Hölle und Hackerspace!
Bittersüß Wunschtraum wird wahr; Wirbel von negative Liebe und ewige
Ablenkung.*
--Tony Longshanks

*notes*

*I'm designing a digital blueprint of the space right now in fact, to update
 the one I made last year<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/File:NoiseMap.jpg>
 same time. I'll post it by tomorrow.

**It's supposed to say, "NoiseBridge, my NoiseBridge: heaven, hell and
hackerspace! Bittersweet pipe dream come true; vortex of negative love and
everlasting distraction."

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Liz Henry <liz at bookmaniac.org> wrote:

> Here is a song to be sung to people who are asleep in any hackerspace,
> and before meetings, to the tune of The Internationale.  I will write
> more verses specific to Noisebridge soon!
>

> The Hackernationale
>
> Arise, all hackers from your slumber,
> Arise, all cyberpunks!
> For there are cables here to solder,
> We're making stuff from junk!
>
> Let's jailbreak all of our devices,
> Give root to everyone!
> Connect our batteries in series,
> For do-ocratic fun!
>
> So comrades, come solder,
> Learn and teach technology,
> Put chocolate in the laser cutter,
> And make all software free!
>
> So come all of the genders,
> Shoot rockets into space!
> By cleaning up the kitchen,
> We celebrate our hackerspace!
>
> (by Liz Henry and Danny O'Brien)
>

> - Liz
>

> --

*You should read my diaries after I die—I talk about you a lot in there.*