[Noisebridge-discuss] [Rack] 172.30.0.2 ... down?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Nov 30 01:04:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Jonathan Toomim <jtoomim at jtoomim.org>wrote:

>  tl;dr: It looks like one of our switches is failing.
>
> Internet was down from within noisebridge. This was true for both wifi and
> all of the Ethernet ports/cables I tried. I wasn't getting a DHCP lease. I
> gave myself a static IP, but still couldn't ping 172.30.0.4 or anything
> else, even other computers which I also gave static IPs. I rebooted r00ter
> by power cycling several times. That didn't do anything noticeable. I
> called Jake, and he was able to ssh into minotaur. At some point, I decided
> to start power cycling the switches. I did so. I tested the internet. It
> was working again. I started writing this email.
>
> My guess: whichever switch it is that connects the noisebridge local/wifi
> network to minotaur and the wall of tubes is failing. I *think* that's in
> the closet on Susan (the rack).

Yes, I too support this conclusion. Something wonky is up with the crappy
48-port linksys/dell switch in the closet.
We have another 24-port GigE switch (an upgrade from 100 Mbit fanout
ports), but it's only half the ports.

I'm going to try and stop by and see what's going on with that switch, but
I suspect that we may need to make some replacement.

--j