[Noisebridge-discuss] SIMS card to CDMA

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Nov 30 22:42:15 UTC 2012

I agree completely, except that it's not that you can be tracked by anyone
who has the "legal authority" to request this information, but anyone who
has the practical ability to acquire it.  This includes anyone who is
friends with anyone who has access to the computer terminal that dispenses
this information, not to mention lucky hackers.

the fact is that the equipment dispensing phone record information,
including the equipment that lets them LISTEN to your phone calls, does
not require a warrant to be inserted into the slot before it is enabled.

and actually the equipment produces no paper trail or electronic record or
signal of any kind that it is being used, and this is enshrined in the
CALEA (communications and law enforcement act of 1996) so that even the
operator of the phone company cannot detect whether someone's conversation
is being recorded or not.  not to be pedantic, but it's spelled out in the
specification.  The "legal authority" of a person doesn't really come into
the picture.

most people don't realize that their phone is causing them to be tracked
regardless of settings within the phone or whether it's a smart phone.
Most people think that if they have a dumb phone they're not being
tracked.  They don't realize that the towers actually have extra hardware
just for the purpose of pinpointing every phone (for practical purposes
too) and that this data is being logged for months or years for every
single customer.

and the AT&T iphone thing is real too, that happened to me and i told them
that I didn't want a data plan for my smartphone and they said too bad and
i said i'm leaving and they said Buh Bye and i said Hello Tmobile.

here's a link to the german politician who made his records searchable
with a playback map overlay thing, that really opened some peoples eyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/business/media/26privacy.html

http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2011-03/data-protection-malte-spitz

http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention

-jake

Ben wrote:

I don't know where you get the impression that having a SIM card GSM phone
gives you any more or less privacy than having a CDMA identified phone.

Both phones identify themselves to the network with individual identity
numbers (IMEI) and SIM cards also contain your identity.  Swapping the SIM
to another phone will just alert them that you have switched devices.

This is how AT&T identifies and decides to do "hey, you just dropped an
iPhone onto our network, we're going to automatically without any
additional authorization enable an iPhone specific data plan onto your
account"

Basically, if you carry a mobile phone, you have a location broadcasting
device on you that can be tracked by the phone company and anyone who has