[Noisebridge-discuss] SIMS card to CDMA

Ben Kochie superq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 02:25:39 UTC 2012

I don't know where you get the impression that having a SIM card GSM phone
gives you any more or less privacy than having a CDMA identified phone.
 Both phones identify themselves to the network with individual identity
numbers (IMEI) and SIM cards also contain your identity.  Swapping the SIM
to another phone will just alert them that you have switched devices.  This
is how AT&T identifies and decides to do "hey, you just dropped an iPhone
onto our network, we're going to automatically without any additional
authorization enable an iPhone specific data plan onto your account"

Basically, if you carry a mobile phone, you have a location broadcasting
device on you that can be tracked by the phone company and anyone who has
the legal authority to request this information.