[Noisebridge-discuss] Contest announcement

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 03:54:10 UTC 2012

I’m currently working on a new fiction project, and decided
to open up a contest. As you know, I am a big proponent of getting people
involved in collaborative world-building, and I thought some folks at
Noisebridge might enjoy this opportunity.

The contest is to design the “Cherry Bomb”, a vehicle invented
and owned by one of the main characters (Jaimeston Many-Rings, D.I.). There is
no requirement to produce a working prototype (people at Noisebridge might
object to having it built inside the space); I’m mainly looking for 3D graphics
or other artwork.

The Cherry Bomb is a combination snowmobile, jet-ski, and
ATV (four or more wheels), with seating for two (passenger seated behind the
driver) and cargo space enough for six bags of groceries. Towing equipment is the
option of the designer. Extra points if it can also be submersible. Weaponry
and defensive systems should be as clandestine as possible to avoid giving DARPA
further excuses for seizing the vehicle.

The only restrictions on fuel sources are:

No extension cordsFuel receptacles must fit on the chassisThe vehicle will be operated during winter in
Northern Michigan.

Winner will receive exclusive, lifetime license to run the ferry
service between Pynemarten Island and Roger’s Landing (signed by the Mayor and
the Chief of the Tribal Council) and a permanent berth at the island’s marina
for the Ferry boat. In addition, some business grants may be made available by
the Economic Development Office, on a preferred basis, depending on each fiscal
year’s budget.

Prizes for one runner-up and two honorable mentions:Deed to the
Pynemartin Island marina (some easements may apply)A Coast
Guard cutter named in their honorA shipwreck
named in their honor (in the spirit of The
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald), off the coast of Pynemarten Island

Prizes will not be affected by the outcome of pending litigation
regarding the name of the island (Minisi Gisheekandug
Srujibwe Tribal Council v. United States of America, State of Michigan, et
al.).

- Reverend Mik
     “Every time I start her up, a test pilot creams
his overalls... and a negotiator from DARPA loses his job.” - Jaimeston
     "And the fire department passes around the defibrillator." - Ainsley