[Noisebridge-discuss] Congratulations Felix Baumgartner

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Oct 15 18:43:07 UTC 2012

Dear Eric, my previous comment was posted with the intent of it being a
joke and mildly comical (I assumed the surfboard would have been an
indicate of that), I apologize for any frustration you felt by
interpreting it any other way.

In all seriousness I'm actually pretty saddened by the fact that the
internet is ecstatic this past week over the end of an era being marked
by a vehicle with the ability to travel into space going to its final
resting place in LA, and a man jumping from a balloon which just barely
came within arms reach of the troposphere, in order to simply break a
couple records and generate hype for its sponsors.

I think what the Stratos team did was technologically pretty awesome,
especially for it being on the cheap and very DIY, and yes extremely
dangerous. I've read up more about the project than I best most people
skimming through this thread, and very diligently watched the video from
yesterday. But in all honesty I'm not going to sit here slack jawed and
teary eyed while knowing that many before Felix have pushed themselves
to go much farther in the name of science, and unfortunately some have
failed costing them their lives.

I do not apologize for the last two paragraphs.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net