[Noisebridge-discuss] Closing the space/Being excellent

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 04:03:58 UTC 2012

I've been sharing what's being discussed by a few regulars in the space, or as Danny called us once, "power users".

Understand that these are people who regularly chip in to clean up or get things put into a semblence of order (especially after events). We wash dishes, we take the trash out, we bring the bins back in, we sweep the floors... We try to not make waves, we try to help out when we can. And right now, a couple of us have been assisting Cliff in painting the space.

Yet, a few minutes or an hour after we do things like this, someone will stomp through the space, talking loudly about how "those people" need to be kicked out because "those people" never do a damned thing around the space.

Most of the people jumping in to fix computers or other gadgets brought in by visitors in the past two months have been "power users". Throughout the day, evening, and night, there are often times where there are no members present - no members to welcome newcomers, no members to give visitors tours.

Some of the other "power users" feel that they can't come to the meetings to discuss things that are going on. They feel that they aren't allowed to speak up, because they're not members. They feel they shouldn't "bother" members by joining conversations.

And I have heard several people giving out incorrect or misleading information on how to become a member. "You have to collaborate on a couple projects with real members before you're allowed to put in an application," has been one I've heard several times.

The amount of pure shit that happens when there are no members present, or when members are sequestered off by themselves, is alarming. But if members don't approach visitors or "power users" and actively solicit feedback, get involved in discussions, or at least try to get to know them, it will continue, and probably get worse.

Yes, I know, I am considered a troll on the discussion list. And because I am a troll, nothing I have said has any relevance or value. After all, it's easier to dismiss me as a troll than actually consider any points I may have made.

- Reverend Mik
It is impossible to wage war or commit violence, unless you first prove the other party is less human than you are. - Shane Vassad