[Noisebridge-discuss] sudoroom / Toaster Project / Slingshot! paying gig

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 16:56:50 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Jeffrey Carl Faden <jeffreyatw at gmail.com>wrote:

> There is a backspace key, you know.

Not on mine, I had that key surgically removed, in keeping w/ the
Noisebridge Wiki "Thou Shalt Not Revise" policy.

Off topic #1: Slingshot! <http://slingshot.tao.ca/displaybi.php?111001> is
looking for someone to write the code necessary for their new smartphone
version of their 2013 organizer (which is how they make the money to put
out their paper). It's a paying gig!

Off topic #2: Has anyone read/heardof/alreadypostedabout The Toaster
Project? <http://www.thetoasterproject.org/> I'm reading it right now.
Seems like a book that Monday Night Circuit Hackers / solder superstars
would love, although some of them may already lots of it: a guy (Thomas
Thwaites, the author) sets out to build a toaster from absolute
scratch—beginning w/ an attempt to smelt iron from ore (which I gather
doesn't go so well). Initially he takes apart the smallest, cheapest
toaster on the market in order to reverse-engineer it. When it's completely
broken down into separate materials & elements, he has something like 410
components, some of them baffling ("What's the metal inside a transistor?
What's that white stuff inside the resistor? Strange wet papery rubber
inside the capacitor...") Anyway, it branches out into a virtual nutshell
history of manufacturing & tools from the Bronze Age to our present strange
circumstances.

Off topic #3: sudoroom in Oakland! It's starting! NBridge in the East Bay.
Can we learn from our mistakes, & build on our successes? Maybe I'll move
over there after all. Good squatting, I hear. Are the police friendly?

--
*You should read my diaries after I die—I talk about you a lot in there.*