[Noisebridge-discuss] Why not just disable the buzzer?

tedward arbzed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 21:58:44 UTC 2012

So I brought this up a long time ago, but I think it's worth
mentioning again, given the trending topics here lately.

What about disabling the remote door buzzer, and maybe even NOT fixing
the doorbell?  These circuits combined are a fantastic low-effort
mechanism for letting people in without interacting with them.

Say we disabled the button at the top of the stairs that lets people
in.  And, for the sake of argument, we fix the gate lock as Jake
suggests such that it can not be trivially shimmed.  And let's also
say we disable unauthenticated buzzing through the HTTP interface.

In this scenario, in order to gain access, you'd have to:

a) have a key
b) have an access code (public events and classes can issue temp codes
for people who RSVP)
c) enter at the same time as someone who has one of the above
d) use your wireless thing that you probably carry with you to summon
a specific person you know who is already inside the space to let you
in.

All these methods require either passing a minimal community trust bar
or directly interacting with someone at the point of entry who has
passed that bar.  Do they exclude anyone we want to be able to gain
access?