[Noisebridge-discuss] access control improvements

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 21:50:37 UTC 2012

The point I want to get across is that if there is criteria to be applied, then everyone involved needs to know what that criteria is.

I'm currently in the space. I'm not alone here, there have been 8 or more people here at one time. Yet when the buzzer goes off, I am the only person to let people in. And I am near the back of the space right now.

I can think of a few people I don't want to let in, because of the melodrama they bring, or the fact they refuse to clean up after themselves, etc. I certainly don't want to be responsible for their behavior.

Yet, if I apply that criteria, then I have made a decision that they have nothing to contribute. I have made the decision that they don't belong here. I'm not comfortable with making those kinds of determinations, especially regarding people I have never met.

Here's another point: for every person on this list, there is almost certainly at least one other person on the list that dislikes them or wishes they wouldn't come to the space. As Erik said last night, if you're not pissing off at least one person, you aren't trying. It's the nature of personalities.

The concept of controlling access to the space is, on the face of it, not objectionable. However, when we get down to cases and reality, then it begins to break down.

- Reverend Mik
www.prismandink.com