[Noisebridge-discuss] New Android app: Noisegate

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:37:07 UTC 2012

On Oct 9, 2012, at 9:01 AM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:

> We do have undesired, even banned users, who have smartphones. I
> personally
> don't think 'has an android' is a meaningful bar of entry.

Please don't interpret the simplicity of my design as an endorsement
of lax security.  I've merely duplicated the mechanism used in
Patrick Keys' app pending further discussion.  I'm glad to implement
whatever security policy we reach consensus on.

> My preference
> would be a more platform-agnostic tool - for example, some kind of sms
> authentication.

The two are orthogonal.  SMS has the benefit of not requiring a
smartphone or a data plan.  The Web service, on the other hand, is
better if you pay for each text, or if you have a wifi-only device.
Additionally, users like Brian are probably more comfortable with an
app that just has Internet access versus one that can send SMS.

> I think it's interesting that, at the same time that jake (with much
> community backing and momentum) is talking about further
> restricting gate
> access, based on actual identity, josh has created a way for anyone
> to come
> in without any authentication at all.

This has already been commented on, so I'll just add that revoking
the access code in question will disable both Patrick's app and
Noisegate (in its current form).

> We already had this, sort of, with
> physical keys.  The difference now is that it comes with a handy
> built-in
> economic and technological barrier,

I think this is a red herring.  Anyone with a Web browsing device can
use the same access mechanism; I've merely made a shiny front-end for
it.  (I'm willing to support non-touchscreen Android phones as well,
if someone desires this and will help me test it.)

> and without the meatspace
> authentication process of having to be given a physical key.

Agreed; complete strangers should not be able to let themselves in.

> Additionally, I have an issue with the ability to easily buzz the door
> remotely. I think access to our physical space should be linked to
> presence
> at the physical space.

I agree, with the possible exception of being able to remotely buzz
in a friend visiting Noisebridge for the first time when I'm not there.

Josh