[Noisebridge-discuss] New Android app: Noisegate

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:47:52 UTC 2012

On Oct 9, 2012, at 9:27 AM, Ian Smith wrote:

> An android app already existed; Josh's app is just a stripped-down
> form of the same thing.

This is accurate.

> My understanding is that the app is an android-specific
> implementation of a platform-agnostic protocol, just hitting the
> gate-opening uri.

Also correct.  I'll just add that the gate API requires a key, and
Noisegate currently has one hard-coded into its source, which is sent
in cleartext, same as the older app.

> In any case, ignoring for a moment the question of a need for
> increased access control, I think the existing Android app was a
> great thing from an accessibility perspective (the pay phone is not
> very reachable from my wheelchair), and Josh's app is potentially a
> major UI improvement.

This is an important factor to consider in how we enforce physical
proximity.  I don't mind having to supply the app with a manually
entered code periodically, but I wouldn't want to have to do so every
time I came to Noisebridge.  One thing that would help is if we
extended the wifi range to cover the gate.

Josh