[Noisebridge-discuss] New Android app: Noisegate

Brian Cloutier briancloutier2010 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:37:44 UTC 2012

> We do have undesired, even banned users, who have smartphones.

They have the ability to push the buzzer too, either way they get it.

> I personally don't think 'has an android' is a meaningful bar of entry.
My preference would be a more platform-agnostic tool - for example, some
kind of sms authentication.

SMS authentication actually sounds pretty cool. Do you imagine only texts
from white listed phone numbers would be accepted, or texts with the right
code would be accepted?

> I think it's interesting that, at the same time that jake (with much
community backing and momentum) is talking about further restricting gate
access, based on actual identity, josh has created a way for anyone to come
in without any authentication at all.

1. I haven't seen "much community backing and momentum", Jake has mentioned
it once (after Josh announced his plans to build the app, iirc) and a few
people replied. Please don't lie to make your point.
2. An android app that does this already exists. He has not changed
anything besides making more people aware that this is possible.

> We already had this, sort of, with physical keys.  The difference now is
that it comes with a handy built-in economic and technological barrier, and
without the meatspace authentication process of having to be given a
physical key.

There is no barrier. He is not removing options from anyone, merely adding
them. Not everything in life is men vs. women, rich vs. poor.

> Additionally, I have an issue with the ability to easily buzz the door
remotely. I think access to our physical space should be linked to presence
at the physical space.

I probably agree with this though. I can see times where letting someone in
remotely would be convenient (like just hitting the button on my phone
instead of walking all the way to that button), but this seems a little too
easy to abuse.

- Brian