[Noisebridge-discuss] New Android app: Noisegate

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 01:01:42 UTC 2012

On Oct 9, 2012, at 2:12 PM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:

>> SMS authentication actually sounds pretty cool. Do you imagine only
>> texts from white listed phone numbers would be accepted, or texts
>> with
>> the right code would be accepted?
>
> I imagine something more like texts with the right code, tied into
> the codes that work the payphone.  there would need to be some way
> to provide a second factor, though - a way to ensure the user was
> at the gate when they triggered it to open.  Perhaps a random-
> number-generator at the door?

The cheap way is to post a paper sign with that day's random number.
The techno-awesome way might involve an LED sign.  Another option is
some kind of wireless transfer, e.g. wifi, Bluetooth, or NFC, but
then we're back to economic barriers.

>> 2. An android app that does this already exists. He has not changed
>> anything besides making more people aware that this is possible.
>
> Yes. I will here point out that I believe Patrick Keys is the
> person who made the original door entry app.  I will reiterate that
> this approach to entry facilitates a truly anonymous entry method,
> which is good, but lacking community accountability or a need for
> community ties, which is bad.  Community ties are part of how
> anarchist societies function. Social pressure is a powerful force
> but the more possible we make it for people to engage with the
> space without engaging with the community, the less strong the
> community forces become.
>
>> There is no barrier. He is not removing options from anyone, merely
>> adding them. Not everything in life is men vs. women, rich vs. poor.
>
> The manner in which this option functions is lopsided.  I am
> pointing out this lopsidedness, in response to a request for
> feedback.  Not everything is irrelevant, or false, just because you
> dont give a shit about it.

Thank you for the feedback.  I admit I was primarily seeking
suggestions on how to improve Noisegate (e.g. add an About screen,
link to Noisebridge's location on Google Maps) and discussion of gate
security, to the latter of which you've contributed productively.
You're also objecting to the Android-specific (or more generally, the
smartphone-specific) nature of Noisegate.

My immediate goal for Noisegate was "Replace the existing Noisebridge
Android app with something that I'd enjoy using and showing off."
I've accomplished this to my own satisfaction, at least.  Others have
found my results useful to them as well, which is a bonus.  I know
that my work doesn't benefit everyone, but I don't expect it to, and
that's not one of my goals.

I don't think you're asking me not to make smartphone apps for
Noisebridgers.  Clearly, you're interested in having an alternative
mechanism to the Web API, such as SMS.  I welcome your comments,
though I don't see how I would incorporate them into Noisegate.  It
sounds like you're proposing an unrelated project.

Josh