[Noisebridge-discuss] New Android app: Noisegate

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 21:12:15 UTC 2012

On 10/9/2012 9:37 AM, Brian Cloutier wrote:

>  > We do have undesired, even banned users, who have smartphones.
>
> They have the ability to push the buzzer too, either way they get it.

i see a trend over time that this is something we have been slowly
moving away from as an access mode - there has been a low-level but
constant push towards getting regular users equipped with other modes of
access to the space - so that the buzzer would indicate, truly, a
stranger.

>  > I personally don't think 'has an android' is a meaningful bar of
> entry.  My preference would be a more platform-agnostic tool - for
> example, some kind of sms authentication.
>
> SMS authentication actually sounds pretty cool. Do you imagine only
> texts from white listed phone numbers would be accepted, or texts with
> the right code would be accepted?

I imagine something more like texts with the right code, tied into the
codes that work the payphone.  there would need to be some way to
provide a second factor, though - a way to ensure the user was at the
gate when they triggered it to open.  Perhaps a random-number-generator
at the door?

>  > I think it's interesting that, at the same time that jake (with much
> community backing and momentum) is talking about further restricting
> gate access, based on actual identity, josh has created a way for anyone
> to come in without any authentication at all.
>
> 1. I haven't seen "much community backing and momentum", Jake has
> mentioned it once (after Josh announced his plans to build the app,
> iirc) and a few people replied. Please don't lie to make your point.

This comment from me was based in several years of data on door access
conversations.  Please don't miss the forest for the trees.

> 2. An android app that does this already exists. He has not changed
> anything besides making more people aware that this is possible.

Yes. I will here point out that I believe Patrick Keys is the person who
made the original door entry app.  I will reiterate that this approach
to entry facilitates a truly anonymous entry method, which is good, but
lacking community accountability or a need for community ties, which is
bad.  Community ties are part of how anarchist societies function.
Social pressure is a powerful force but the more possible we make it for
people to engage with the space without engaging with the community, the
less strong the community forces become.

>  > We already had this, sort of, with physical keys.  The difference now
> is that it comes with a handy built-in economic and technological
> barrier, and without the meatspace authentication process of having to
> be given a physical key.
>
> There is no barrier. He is not removing options from anyone, merely
> adding them. Not everything in life is men vs. women, rich vs. poor.

The manner in which this option functions is lopsided.  I am pointing
out this lopsidedness, in response to a request for feedback.  Not
everything is irrelevant, or false, just because you dont give a shit
about it.