[Noisebridge-discuss] need laptop recommendations

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed Oct 10 07:02:53 UTC 2012

> Has anyone had any experience getting a refund for the Windows
> that comes pre-installed on Asus or Lenovo in the US?

(I am not from the US, so just for general info.)

You can buy some specific models from some manufactures just with DOS
installed. E.g. from Lenovo. Sometimes, these accidentally work quite ok
with Linux. :D

BTW, another option for you maybe is getting a high-quality, but used
machine. If you buy a originally high-price Thinkpad used on ebay, it
could be in your target price range - and sometimes having a not quite
brand-new machine is good for Linux support also. You can also google
for Linux support and known issues of such machine types beforehands, so
you often have more infos than about new ones.