[Noisebridge-discuss] need laptop recommendations

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Wed Oct 10 16:32:41 UTC 2012

* Ryan Ruggles <ryanlruggles at gmail.com> [121008 23:36]:
> Can anyone recommend a good laptop?
>
> Less than $700.
>
> Durable and will withstand repeated opening and closing of the lid
> without falling apart (i.e., not a Toshiba Satellite).

For durability and Linux support I wouldn't consider anything other
than a ThinkPad (but *not* the lesser non-ThinkPad Lenovo products).

I picked up a brand-new X200s from itxchange.com a few years back for
$500 -- priced low as it was an old model at that point, but I really
like it. Very light, great keyboard (a big ThinkPad selling point
for me), and it seems newer laptops have continued further along the
shorter/wider screen aspect ratio trajectory... I may pick up another
one for a spare. If you're running Linux, the linux-thinkpad mailing
list [1] is a great resource, as is thinkwiki [2]. And ThinkPad's are
great in terms of serviceability -- freely available detailed service
manuals and designed to be taken apart.

A quick look on itxchange.com shows some x220 models available
refurbished for less than $500 ("Grade A" & a 90-day guarantee fwiw).
hmmm, seems they also have new replacement keyboards for my X200s at
$23...think I'll pick up a fresh one.

Read up on the reviews though, I've heard some of the newer ThinkPad's
have issues (heard some complaining about the x100e), but overall
there's a lot of good stuff to choose from.

[2] http://www.thinkwiki.org/

John

--
John Magolske