[Noisebridge-discuss] Use of Nitrous Oxide in the space on Sunday night

Susan Werner heinousbutch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 21:01:34 UTC 2012

Here's a framework I came up with to look at drug use in a space like
noisebridge:

1. Disruptiveness of the drug use and likelihood of legal consequences / cops
being called. This isn't about the legality of the drug use -- this is trying
to minimize the likelihood of the police and the law being involved in cases
that don't go beyond people using drugs.

2. The degree to which the people doing drugs are also involved in hacking shit
at the same time -- this differentiates between people using drugs while
hacking on stuff and people using noisebridge solely as a place to do drugs.

3. How hostile and exclusionary to others space is made due to the drug use. If
your drug use is making people (especially newcomers) unwelcome to the space, I
(and others!) have an issue with that.

Notice that none of this tripartite test involve trying to police what kind of
drugs people can and cannot do at noisebridge -- it is solely an analysis based
on the actions taken by the people doing drugs, and the consequences of said
actions.

This is it being applied to the case in question:

1. the whippit use was obviously happening and hard to ignore -- this is not
the case of someone taking some drugs and then went to the space while still
being on the influence of them and did things that did not end up being
disruptive. Doing whippits for hours is gonna end up loud and disruptive.

Furthermore, it was illegal and therefore could have gotten noisebridge in
trouble, as well as getting police called to the space (which could have gotten
*even more* people in trouble). Don't do dumb shit that'll get the cops called
to noisebridge, please.

Note that this is only an issue given the nitrous use was incredibly obvious to
the point of being disruptive. Someone who does not make it obvious and
impossible to ignore that they are doing drugs does not run into this issue.

2. The people doing it were not doing anything related to hacking at the time.

3. The people using whippits were making noisebridge an actively /hostile/
space for a handful of people.

--
Su``whee''san