[Noisebridge-discuss] Greetings with a dishrack

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Oct 12 22:57:16 UTC 2012

* Andrew Byrne <andrew at pachakutech.com> [121012 15:35]:
> I have racks ready to put on the bar and footers 3 feet over the sink. They are
> currently drying from being treated with Boiled Linseed Oil. John and I read up
> on this substance and found that some people are concerned about the effects of
> Boiled, not regular oil. I think it is a concern about the addition of mineral
> spirits, which is not the case with this brand. The safety warning on the back
> has strong language about the treatment and possible consumption of uncured
> boiled linseed oil. Film finishes such as this do not last when washed
> frequently, so I'd like to cut a warning about not using soap to wash them on
> one of the sticks using the laser cutter. This will most probably not result in
> a cutter fire of significant proportions. The whole get-up will be smelly for a
> while.

Cool, looking forward to checking out the kitchen improvements!

Just a quick note regarding safety when applying linseed oil with rags
(and probably you already came across this & took proper precautions
but thought I'd put it out there for general NB knowledge) -- such
oil-soaked rags can spontaneously ignite and catch fire:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil#Spontaneous_combustion

Anyhow, personally I like using linseed oil based finishes. My
favorites are those produced by Livos, which IIRC uses citrus oils and
lesser-toxic ingredients (don't have time to look up the specifics
right now):  http://livos.com

Regards,

John (not the one mentioned in the OP but who also likes linseed oil)

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact