[Noisebridge-discuss] Member shelf security

Robert Atkins ratkins at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 22 09:59:35 UTC 2012

On 22/10/2012, at 2:19 AM, Dan Cote <terminationshok at gmail.com> wrote:

> The member shelves have been experiencing some security problems lately. I think most of us remember a time

I'm not a member. If I were visiting San Francisco for more than a couple of months I would be. I think what you're all doing (and the principles behind the way you're doing it) is excellent. You're all awesome. Unsolicited observations follow.

I would intuit that if the member shelves were populated with lidded totes, the stuff in the totes would be dicked with rarely if at all. I would say they wouldn't even need to be locked. In that kind of place, the "affordance" of stuff being in a closed box would keep honest people honest and anyone who was truly an asshole thief would defeat any trivial security measure (like a lock) anyhow.

The best part about this is, if you want your stuff on the member shelves to be more secure, buy a tote with a lid and put your stuff in there! If you don't care, don't. Radical self reliance FTW!

Cheers, Robert.