[Noisebridge-discuss] Member shelf security

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Oct 22 22:23:25 UTC 2012

People already have the option of putting stuff in containers, if it fits.
People already have the option of putting locks on those containers, if
they want to be assed with constantly locking and unlocking their cubbie
every time they want to access a thing they are hacking on, or to get
another part.

also, putting a lock on something marks it as valuable.  Maybe the theif
will simply take the whole cubbie.  That would suck.  But they took the
donation bin because they couldn't open it.

I think what we need is improved security at noisebridge.  We are looking
into RFID tags but we should also do fun things to catch theives, like
booby-trapped goodies on the member shelves.

If I am in the member shelves and I pick up an interesting item on someone
else's shelf, and suddenly a siren and a flashing light goes off, and
everyone comes to see what it was, and i'm trapped in the member shelves,
i'll have to admit that i regularly look through other peoples stuff to
see what they're hacking on (but not to take anything without permission)

if Joe Speedfreak from the mission is back there and the alarms go off,
people will probably decide he has to leave and not let him in again.
He doesn't even have a reason to be back there.

We should also improve the wall at the end of the hacker alley, so that
there is a more clearly defined line between general noisebridge and the
proprietary member shelves.  For example, Harvey has some stuff on the
floor next to the sewing machines, so we should build a shelf there so
that he and Dan can store their stuff in a more conventional way.

And also, there is a lot of stuff back there that belongs to nobody, and
is taking up a lot of space, and we should figure out how to reduce it.

-jake