[Noisebridge-discuss] Two working surveillance cameras, but no functional doorbell?

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:21:45 UTC 2012

On Oct 25, 2012, at 6:10 AM, Frantisek Apfelbeck wrote:

> Is it really a plan to have surveillance cameras in front of the
> place/in the place?

I dispute the notion that these are "surveillance" cameras.  It's no
different than peeking out the fisheye lens in your front door.

The cameras monitor one location -- the spot in front of the gate.
They don't record anything.  The feeds are viewable only from within
Noisebridge.

> I have seen what have happened in UK and to a lesser degree in
> Ireland.

I'm going to suggest that Godwin's Law applies here.

> It may seem as a good idea to "monitor everything" but I think that
> in a long term in most of the cases it is a way to the hell.

Fear, uncertainty, and doubt.  Also, the sky is falling.

> I'm "physically away" not frequenting the place for last two years
> (unfortunately) but if I can express my opinion, if the first thing
> which I see when I come to Noisebridge, especially as a "new
> potential member" is a security camera than that is a very, very
> bad signal. I would rather like to see some codes system on the
> doors or keys etc. rather than "we are watching you!"

If you loiter around by the gate for hours at a time, then yes, I
suppose we are watching you.

We have a code system on the door.  Newcomers generally don't have
codes, so they ring the doorbell -- but so can anyone else.  How are
we supposed to know if we should unlock the gate?

> I hope that the cameras are just a very temporary matter, I know
> that many people were and still are opposed to monitoring the place
> and I just personally really dislike such approach.

I'm sorry you don't like it, but I think you're confusing having a
camera covering *just the gate* versus full-scale monitoring of the
Noisebridge space itself.

> Please note that I appreciate the effort which someone put in to
> make even this solution which I do not like happen. I believe that
> decision like installing surveillance cameras in the place or by
> the entrance permanently/long term should go through consensus.

I expect that anyone who seriously has an issue with it will bring it
up at a Tuesday night meeting, or at least the discussion list.  The
absence of this indicates a de facto consensus.

> What do you think?

I wish you would trust those of us who are trying to secure
Noisebridge from thieves and others who are unwelcome.  Or failing
that, at least suggest an alternative approach.

Josh