[Noisebridge-discuss] people are picking the lock with a bart card. repair needed!

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 17:27:00 UTC 2012

Even though I dislike people taking advantage of our kindness and
paying the rent for and maintaining an open workshop by sleeping on
the couch, part of me is super-excited that they managed to pick the
gate lock with a BART card and h4x0red us good, and now we're
struggling to plug our security hole.

Some members used to say that people who could gain entry to the space
by picking the lock were obviously hackers and welcome to use
Noisebridge. I'm going to try this method myself before you folks get
it fixed...

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> I just remembered, about 4AM the other night on my way out, i learned that
> people are regularly pushing the door open about 1/4" and sticking a credit
> card or bart cart into where the lock is, and it opens the door.
>
> The street kids and theives have shared this information (it's the only
> thing they have to do all day) and it's easier for them to get in than
> people coming for classes.
>
> We need to replace the part of the lock on the gate that sticks out (of the
> door of the gate) because it is missing a piece and so the bolt that sticks
> out into the electric buzzer is all floppy and wiggly jiggly.
>
> Someone should remove the old busted one and take it to a hardware store
> like Workingman's Headquarters (2871 mission at 25th street) and get a brand
> new one with all the pieces.
>
> who will do this?
>
> note to those who will say it's the landlord's responsibility:
> I disagree, we make 99% of the traffic through that door and we have made
> many modifications to the entryway, and we hope to reserve the right to make
> more.  I think that unlike normal rental situations, it is entirely our
> responsibility to maintain that lock and gate.  Besides, if they fix it,
> they will just pay a professional to replace the same part and charge us
> what they paid him, we can just do it ourselves.

-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails