[Noisebridge-discuss] member shelves - do you have one?

jim jim at well.com
Sat Oct 27 18:48:52 UTC 2012

    I have a member shelf that I and a few others are
using.
    I wish the storage form factor were more flexible
(to accommodate weird-sized stuff that each of us may
have). I believe Shannon Lee wanted to champion the
use of tough plastic storage bins.
    The area should be well-labeled (whatever that
means), and each member's shelf or area should be
labeled. "Should" is necessarily a weird concept at
Noisebridge, but I think we generally kind of do the
should thing  okay--no need to worry about making a
policy or rule or enforcement mechanism.
    I'm pretty sure some people abandon participation
at Noisebridge (maybe because they move...) and thus
their shelves. Great that you asked, and great that we
be occasionally mindful of developing cruft.
    I was really pissed after the member shelves were
moved from the northwest location because a couple of
my plastic storage boxes (with my name on them) were
cleared out--I never got the stuff back). To adjust
member shelves is a good idea but needs caution so's
not to piss members off. My take is to give at least
one month's notice and notice via all known channels
(email lists, IRC, Tuesday meeting...).
    I'd be okay if only current members have shelves--
it's a reward for member support and it seems possible
to monitor shelf usage at least a bit better. My
recollection is that there's a convention that one's
membership is considered lapsed after sixty days of
no payment; it's extra work for whoever's taking on
the Treasurer responsibilities, but maybe there's a
way to share that load.
    I don't think it's "complete chaos", it just
looks that way.