[Noisebridge-discuss] how to get into an android phone

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:44:10 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Gopiballava Flaherty
<gopiballava at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless they've changed it recently, contacts on the SIM card were limited to a single shortish string and a number  - no address, etc. A lot of phones nowadays have SIM import export options but don't actually store to the SIM.
>
> I'm pretty sure that SMS is similar. The phone can use the SIM card for SMS storage but it doesn't have to and most modern operating systems don't. You can't store an MMS either.
>
> This security hole can be fixed by programming a PIN into your SIM card. Most platforms let you do this. Get it wrong too many times and you have to type in another magic long code which probably came on the packaging for your SIM that you threw out ages ago.

Make sense -- but still, getting a lists of strings and phone numbers
can be more than enough details, depending on what you are trying to
figure out.

Sounds like the PIN would be effective against most theoretical
attackers, such as random thugs who steal your phone, bystanders who
found your phone on the ground, and your long-term memory. :)

--
-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails