[Noisebridge-discuss] Preventing Hacker Rape Culture

Zach organic_unity at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 23:48:43 UTC 2012

I agree with anarchas.  It's a subtle issue a lot of people miss.  Going to college and hanging out with white middle class frat-boys that make jokes about rape/groping/'slapping her around' etc is another very common way rape culture is reinforced.  whats important is the "culture" part of that phrase.  Its an ideological (often unconscious) form of thinking that supports-if even very subtly- the notions that sexual violence is okay.  Jokes and attempts at humor are a common way people do this knowing or unknowingly.  I grew up around it so I know it very well and I think men are often victims to it too since our media and many movies put rape in the comical and trivial foreground of society.  Its one of the largest problems of modern society and one of the most hushed-up secrets that people dont want to think or talk about appropriately or seriously.

When the statute of limitation on rape is 5 years and its one of the least reported violent acts of our time, you know theres a real problem there.